superstar

#1 [url]

Sep 23 02 11:47 PM

Mate you know my feelings on this and i back you 100%

Ask yourself, does what your doing now make perfect logical sense? Is it "Pro-active".. Does it work. Others can disagree all they want but i would ask who is it that's really missing out here?

May your mind and eyes be opened and exposed to the wonderful. Last post on the matter, it's for others now. I need not add comment. I've heard the call of the voice of truth and am feasting at the table as laid out by whom i consider my Sifu and mentor DMP, just a shame he drew the short straw with an excitable nutbag such as me for that i apologise sincerely.

Fading back to reality for a few days

Ciao for now

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#2 [url]

Sep 25 02 8:38 AM

Hey Graham

I do not agree that the structures that you mentioned are not complete. They are..........If not then why do them. Understand why you do them.
Daan Chi Sau is about using basic structures, feel and stance. The reason you are standing and at unreal distance is to let you or your opponent extend their attacks with out fear of being hit. Bong/Jaam and the whole lot work do work from a stationary or forward position. It is only when when the force is too great to take from a forward/stationary postion that you need to pivot/turn then to capitalise and come forward with hopefull break in your opponents balance.

David Peterson will gain, due to overwhelming popular demand he on you shores in close to 4 weeks time. Why not ask him.

Again I feel Ving Tsun can not be learnt on-line, you need to feel the results.

Cheers
John

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#3 [url]

Sep 25 02 10:55 AM

FWIW,

Johns description of Dan Chi Sau is more or less exactly how I have been taught it. To me Dan Chi Sau is just a step on the way to learning ving tsun in that it teaches you to use the shapes/actions in SLT in response to a partner rather than just on your own in the air. I dont think one should get too caught up in it. The number one problem people have when learning SLT is keeping their shoulders square esp. when they punch/attack. Dan Chi Sau is used primarily to train that habit out IMO. Dealing with incoming forces in conjunction with stepping/turning is what Chi sau, stepping drill and Bong Lap are about IMO.

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#6 [url]

Sep 26 02 12:31 AM

'More or less?? Nick. What does that mean.'

It means the same thing as this :lol::

'Both the way I have been taught and John's explanations are nearly the same. '

'Daan Chi Sau is the beginners laboratory in which to learn the basics of VT. Diversion being one of them. '

Yes - a correctly formed bong sau is *necessary* for complete diversion (that is, a diversion that takes your opponent completley offline whilst allowing you a clear line of attack with your rear hand) but it isnt *sufficient* IMO until it has been used in conjunction with turning - the CK, bong lap stage.

'Pivoting and moving etc etc are intrduced in Seung Chi Sau and the various drill associated with it. First the student has to understand that his actions work from a stationary/forward position then the rest is built on top. '

Yes I agree.

'To say that this is not the CORE concept of this drill is nonsense. More so it defies common sense. Agree or disagree. My views have been confirmed by the majority not the minority.'

Well you seem very adamant so its obviously an exercise in futility to try and convince you otherwise. FWIW as Ive stated I am more than happy to adjust my opinion on this matter if you can show me a better way. However it is hard to do this other the internet. If I can come to the next David Peterson seminar than maybe he/you guys can show me exactly what you mean?

Quote    Reply   

superstar

#7 [url]

Sep 26 02 8:30 AM

Graham

You have a good post and have well understood the concepts of Daan Chi Sau.

I can use Bong coming forward or pivoting depending upon where the force is at the time. I am sorry for writting short posts but my meaning is condensed enough to again an understanding. Better to feel the result.

Cheers
John Smith

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 26 02 10:28 AM

'Both the way I have been taught and John's explanations are nearly the same. '

quote]

I think you might of misunderstood me Nick. I meant the way I have been taught up until meeting David. My views and understanding of the concepts are exactly the same as John's and David's from that point on. Even though it has only been a short while since I have been opened up to these concepts (that extend alot further than Daan Chi Sau) I have been doing this long enough to know what is right and wrong by the way it feels and the effect it has on the opponent.

VTG

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help